Saturday, December 19, 2009

On a Clear Day advertisement


Above is a newspaper ad from a return engagement of On a Clear Day in San Antonio, Texas.
A friend of mine clipped it from an old newspaper after I became a Barbra fan.
Notice the image of Barbra appears to be from the bathtub scene from What's Up, Doc? That's not Daisy Gamble's hair. Also notice Yves Montand's name is nowhere in sight. Instead co-stars Nicholson and Newhart get billing.
As much as I love this movie, it's hard to watch because of Yves Montand. Cruel yes, but it's the truth (well, my opinion anyway). Didn't Minnelli watch the dailies? Didn't anybody notice there was no chemistry between the two? I guess replacing Montand was out of the question. Too bad. Can you imagine if they did? I can visualize the headlines now: Streisand fires Montand! It would have been worth the bad press to get somebody else in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment