Saturday, December 5, 2009

Mad about The Owl and the Pussycat

A few panels from Mad magazines satire of the film "The Owl and the Pussycat" or as they put it, The Foul and the Prissy Cats.

The first time I saw the film was on network TV (NBC, I believe). The film was censored obviously and on first viewing it was quite apparent. I remember the cuts being jumpy and her lips were moving but nothing was coming out a number of times.

During the summer of 1979 I took classes at Southwest Texas State at they were screening The Owl and the Pussycat in the student lounge. I was in for quite a shock! The film of course was uncensored and all I could remember was I felt like I was seeing the film for the first time. Too bad the DVD left out the "F" word in that one critical scene.

Mad magazine had already satirized Barbra's first 3 films in one shot with Alfred E. Newman as Barbra on the cover of that issue. They would go on to satirize, The Way We Were, Funny Lady, A Star is Born and Yentl. Don't know if they did any more after that point. I was getting too old for the magazine by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment