Saturday, October 10, 2009

Inside the Village Vanguard - Sept. 26, 2009


Above is a photo inside the Village Vanguard taken from the stage looking out at the audience on September 26, 2009 taken by me. Now before you ask me if I attended the concert, I should add that this photo was taken around 12:30 a.m. on Sept. 26th.
I knew that it would be highly unlikely for me to somehow get inside for the concert barring a miracle. So I settled for the next best thing. I attended, along with friends Robin and Kevin, the 11:00 p.m. jazz concert on the 25th. This was the closest I could get to the real thing.
As you can see it's a small venue. The entrance the the nightclub is that red space with the exit sign above. The stairs go directly up to street level at 7th Ave. If you look over to the right of that area you can see another exit sign. If you go through that space you will end up at another flight of stairs that will take you to the back entrance at Waverly Place.
I kept the flash off for this photo to more closely resemble the view Barbra had the night of the concert. You can't tell from this photo but another row of tables was to the left and some additional tables to the right.
While there we talked to the staff for details. Our hostess said that the Secret Service was there that day for a security sweep (turns out the Clintons attended the concert, which we had surmised). Among the changes that were made was the addition of extra lighting (for filming) and a couple of vintage Barbra photos added to the wall close to the stage (to the right of this photo).
So there you have it- close, but no cigar.

No comments:

Post a Comment