Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sensational Contest!

Sensational indeed. Of course by the time this contest was held I had already bought the soundtrack, as any self-respecting Barbra fan would have.

While we're on the subject, I could never understand while they didn't release a second single after Evergreen ran it's course on the charts. Jack Jones got in on the act and recorded With One More Look at You. I could hear it played in the malls by March 1977. That would have been my choice of a follow-up release. Even I Believe in Love would have made a good single for the top 40 radio format.

KTFM was San Antonio's dominant Album Rock radio station back in the '70 and they even played With One More Look at You/Watch Closely Now/Evergreen directly off the soundtrack album a couple of times. I literally remember hearing it only twice on that station- and this wasn't the type of station to play Barbra's music to begin with. But the rock listeners were shocked when in February 1979 they switched overnight to an all-disco format! By June they were playing The Main Event/Fight.

But back to the contest. I want to win the album because. . . .I'm the biggest Barbra fan in the world!!! I'm sure everybody said that.

No comments:

Post a Comment