Monday, January 4, 2010

Free tickets!



Free tickets to The Main Event!
Frost Brothers was a department store in San Antonio. I had forgotten all about this newspaper ad and photo clipping until I pulled it out again. The first thing I thought to myself was why didn't I attend the premiere showing. I had been anticipating this movie every since the fall of '78 when I first heard about it. Granted I already had plans to attend a screening on the 22nd when it opened everywhere nationwide, so it wouldn't kill me to wait one more day.
Then I realized that in 1979 $15 was a lot of money for a teenager! Minimum wage was about $2.50 an hour and to net $15 would have taken probably 8 hours of labor. Plus never mind that you would have to make a special trip into San Antonio to buy some items at an overpriced department store then make another trip for the movie.
Now of course, if I had read the fine print under the photo I would have noticed I could receive complimentary Main Event stick-on patches. I've never seen Main Event stick-on patches, but if I had them I could now sell them on EBAY and probably make my $15 dollars back!
Don't bother going to Frost Brothers and asking if they have any left-over stickers. They've been out of business for about 20 years now.

No comments:

Post a Comment