Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cher vs. Barbra



Another tabloid article.
I remember that night on TV. And I have a confession. . . . .I watched Cher! This was before I became a Barbra fan mind you. I remember Cher was generating a lot of publicity at that time- she was returning to television without Sonny.
I eventually got to see the special around 1980. I was visiting a friend in Dallas and we visited a mom and pop videotape rental store. I came across a bootleg video of the special and freaked out! Back then, if you missed a TV special the first time around- too bad. Some specials may have been repeated during the summer months then, but this one was clearly dated with the movie premiere.
It's a shame there has not been an official release on tape or DVD. Probably the business model doesn't support a release. They could at least release it on HULU or another website- that would keep costs down. There could also be a problem with clearances of the music rights. That seems to be the problem with a lot of old TV specials.
Not the best photo of Barbra- she looks like Cloris Leachman.

No comments:

Post a Comment