Sunday, September 20, 2009

On a Clear Day filming locations Part 1



I did see On A Clear Day in the theater as I child. I don't remember it very well. The only thing I can remember is the opening and ending number from that first experience.
I remember being in awe with the stop-motion photography of the flowers growing (it's still an impressive piece of photogaphy today). The only thing was I couldn't figure out how they did it. It sounds silly now, but as a child you weren't exposed to such wonders of special effects as children are now. I remember asking my mother during the song "How did they do that?" I simply did not have a clue. I must have asked a little too loudly. My mother shussed me and whispered that they took a photo of the flower every day over time.
On a Clear Day is still one of my favorite Barbra songs of all time. I know this sounds strange but during the title song at the end of the movie, I keep thinking it was filmed on a Friday evening at sunset. I can still remember after seeing the movie, I get a Friday evening feeling when I think of the song. Don't ask why- can't explain it.
As it turns out, after visiting the location the movie shot above was indeed filmed around sunset (the golden hour). Still don't know what day of the week it was filmed.
Wanting to capture the scene with the same lighting I visiting the site in the late afternoon to capture the same shadows. As it turned out, it was a cloudy afternooon! I was losing the light, and there's nothing without the light! And I even waited until Friday to get the shot. Again, don't ask why.
A number of changes about the location since 1970 (or really 1969 since that's when it was filmed).
Most notably, the statue is not there. It was a movie prop. Confused me for a while when I visited the site. Wasn't sure if I was in the right place. Now that I see the scene again, it is kinda ackward to have a huge statue right smack in front and so close to the building entrance.
The white globe light has been replaced with signage.
The steps have also been modified for handicapped accessibility at the front door. There's a large wheelchair ramp off camera to the right. Handrails have also been added.
FYI- this building is located at Exposition Park in Los Angeles. While the story of OACD takes place in NY it was actually filmed in California.

No comments:

Post a Comment