Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Star is Born filming locations Part 2



Another shot of Esther Hoffman's apartment. This photo is from a recent trip to Hollywood.
I visited this apartment location a few years ago with some friends during one of the Barbra reunions. While this apartment is visible from the street, the complex is gated and locked. As luck would have it, while we were there the girl who lived there was leaving the complex. We told her about the location. She didn't have a clue. We were more than happy to explain the significance of the apartment she lived in. She probably thought we were nuts but let us in to get a closer look. We even talked her into opening her apartment door so we could see inside (I could tell from the movie that the interior shots were from a sound stage and one look inside confirmed my intuition.)
During my most current visit, I took along some screen shots from the television, so I could match up the camera angles. Time restraints prevented me from coming back later to more closely match up the lighting (and the shadows). While in the movie this scene takes place early in the mornng (7:00 a.m.?), this shot was actually filmed more toward the evening. I was there around noon time. (I'll try for a reshoot next time I'm there).
While taking photos this time around again a lady walked out of the apartment and out the gate. With camera and screen shots from the movie in hand, I told her about the movie significance about the apartment. Turns out her daughter lives there and neither one knew about it.
As you can tell, the balcony has been replaced with wood and bars cover the window (to keep Barbra fans from breaking in?).

No comments:

Post a Comment