Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Star is Born filming locations Part 1



Esther Hoffman's apartment hasn't changed much through the years.
This was the movie that started it all for me. Soon after seeing What's Up, Doc? on network television, I started researching Barbra. People did a cover story on her about her upcoming movie A Star is Born in April 1976 (still my favorite People cover). It seemed every month some magazine or newspaper reported about the filming of the movie good and bad, but mostly bad. I couldn't wait for the movie to open.
The only problem was that I lived in a small town one county over from San Antonio. At the time I was 16 and wasn't allowed to drive into "the big city". I was also rated R and back then theaters around there were stricter about age requirements. To make matters worse, I looked like I was 14. My parents weren't about to drive me into the city to see an R-rated movie. It drove me crazy at the time.
Eventually in February 1977, A Star is Born came to my town and I finally got to see it. And soon after I was allowed to drive to San Antonio, which was a good thing because A Star is Born stayed on at least one screen on and off for about a year. Successful movies in general would stay a lot longer in the theaters back then. After a run in the major theaters they would move over to smaller neighborhood theaters and drive-in followed by $1.00 movie houses the return engagements "back by popular demand".
In total, I saw A Star is Born 16 times on the big screen, which was a lot for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment