Monday, September 21, 2009

Close Encounters of the Barbra Kind No. 10

The National Democratic Gala, Kodak theater, Hollywood, CA - around 2:00 a.m. September 30, 2002.

Yes I know it's hard to tell, but it is Barbra. My digital camera decided focus on the forefront. Why don't these cameras come with a Barbra auto-focus feature?

That's her in black (well, O.K. everyone is in black). The man behind her is Dick Gephardt. James is to the right (the white hair is the giveaway).

One interesting feature about the gala was toward the beginning when David Foster introduced his new protoge- his first performance in public. The guy sounded nice- reminded me of Frank Sinatra. A few years later my friend Robin and I were discussing the trip. She informed me that the singer was Michael Buble! I had forgotten. I knew who Michael Buble but I didn't remember that's the guy I say. I remember him after the gala when everyone was leaving, he was just standing there by the side doors in the auditorium. No one was bothering him. He was just standing there. I debated going up and asking for a picture. I decided not to. Big mistake. Now you can't get near him.

Getting back Barbra, we got to see her arrive at the Kodak theater around 3:30 p.m. the day before (Sept. 29th). Robin and I were walking around the complex, trying to determine where Barbra would enter from. We talked to a security girl and she told us Barry Manilow was arriving at 3:00 and Barbra at 3:30! Sure enough, she arrived and was ushered in. So we got to see her coming and going.

No comments:

Post a Comment